Friday, May 13, 2016

No wonder why I'm exhausted.

The results are in!  I don't sleep.  Well, I try, but it isn't very productive. Remember how my doctor is uber lame?  I got my results directly from the sleep lab after I called them and they said they were faxed to my doctor a week ago. Sheesh. Good thing I didn't die or my family would be rich.

Anyway . . . 

In my layman view of the results: I sleep very lightly, mostly on my right side, don't move around much, wake up a lot, and occasionally forget to breathe. In technical terms: I have mild sleep apnea.

During a 7 hour night, I had
  • 51 sustained periods of abnormally slow breathing lasting an average of 22 seconds each during non-REM sleep
  • 1 incident of no breathing for 11 seconds during REM (I can't even hold my breath this long when I'm conscious. I tried. No clue how I managed it while sleeping.)
  • Total cumulative REM sleep 42 minutes
  • The majority of my sleep was in ‘stage 2’, light sleep
  • 126 awakenings
  • Oxygen levels dropped to below 88% for 61 cumulative minutes 
The doctor who interpreted the report recommended another sleep study (ummmm . . . what?) with a CPAP device, and 3 litres of oxygen per minute while I'm sleeping. Thankfully, according to the internet which we all know has to tell the truth, that is a relatively small 'dose' and can be delivered through a canula rather than a CPAP. If all else fails, they can take out my tonsils. I have no idea how that relates.

I think that none of that is good. So, I called and got a follow up appointment scheduled with my doctor.

Stay tuned . . .