Thursday, November 27, 2014

"You are my dragonfly"

Sarah gave me a bracelet for Christmas last year.  It was an Alex and Ani, and had a dragonfly charm on it. She enclosed this letter:

Mom,

            If someone were to ask me what reminds me of you, I would have no trouble thinking of something. For as long as I can remember, you’ve loved dragonflies. You’ve always thought they were so beautiful and intriguing, and you told me that when you died, you would come back to me as one. You will always be the first thing I think of when I see a dragonfly.

            I will forever remember what you taught me: that everything in this life happens for a reason. We’ve always found such simple and seemingly meaningless things to be repetitive, like how we both look at the clock at 4:44, every day. I couldn’t help but wonder, could the dragonfly be one of those things, too?  I decided to look for some ancient myths and stories containing dragonflies so that I could figure out their symbolism. 

“The dragonfly, in almost every part of the world, symbolizes change and change in the perspective of self-realization; the kind of change that has its source in mental and emotional maturity and the understanding of the deeper meaning of life. It’s scurrying flight across water represents an act of going beyond what’s on the surface and looking into the deeper implications and aspects of life, and it’s agile flight and ability to move in all six directions, all while exuding a sense of power and poise, are things that come only with age and maturity. The dragonfly exhibits iridescence both on its wings as well as on its body. Iridescence is the property of an object to show itself in different colors depending on the angle and polarization of light falling on it. This property is seen and believed as the end of one’s self-created illusions and a clear vision into the realities of life. The property of iridescence is also associated with the discovery of one’s own abilities by unmasking the real self and removing the doubts one casts on his/her own sense of identity. This again indirectly means self-discovery and removal of inhibitions. The dragonfly normally lives most of its life as a nymph or an immature. It flies only for a fraction of its life and usually not more than a few months. The adult dragonfly does it all in these few months and leaves nothing to be desired. This style of life symbolizes and exemplifies the virtue of living in the moment and living life to the fullest. By living in the moment you are aware of who you are, where you are, what you are doing, what you want, what you don’t, and make informed choices on a moment-to-moment basis. This ability lets you live your life without regrets. The eyes of the dragonfly are one of the most amazing and awe inspiring sights. Given that almost 80% of the insect’s brain power is dedicated to its sight and the fact that it can see in all 360 degrees around it, it symbolizes the uninhibited vision of the mind and the ability to see beyond the limitations of the human self. It also, in a manner of speaking, symbolizes a man/woman to rise from materialism to be able to see beyond the mundane into the vastness that is really our Universe, and our own minds.”

            The more I read, the more I realized that you are my dragonfly. You have taught me how to adapt as my life changes, and how to stay strong and poised on the outside, even if I don’t feel either of those things on the inside. You’ve taught me to think deeper, and to realize my own abilities, and you’ve taught me not to doubt them. You’ve helped me discover who I am, and who I want to be, where I want to go, and what I want to do with my life. You’ve helped me to let go of my regrets and to live day-to-day. You’ve taught me that there is more to life than we can see, and have always encouraged me to find what’s beneath the surface. You taught me how to fly when it feels like I have no ground left to stand on.

            I hope that you wear this bracelet every day, and that when you look at it, you are reminded of how much I love you, and just how much you mean to me. I know that you will always be there for me, and that you will support me in whatever I decide to do, and I am grateful every day for that. I love you more than words could ever say. Thank you for always taking care of me. I’ll wear my bracelet every day, too, and every time I see it, I’ll be reminded that I’m not alone in anything that I do, because I will always have you. You’re my mom, my best friend, my biggest supporter, my favorite teacher, my role model, and my dragonfly.

Merry Christmas, mama. I love you.

All my love, and all my thanks,
Your Sarafina

Christmas 2013