Thursday, November 27, 2014

Chili-Cheese Dogs




Most days during high school, the days when I had to work, I would take the city bus from school along Woodruff Avenue, and get off at Harvey Way, and hit the Wienerschnitzel. Grama and me, we had a thing. We both loved chili dogs - the super cheap, greasy, messy kind you get for about 89₵.  


She lived just down Harvey Way from the bus stop, and I'd take the chili dogs to her house and spend a few hours with her until I needed to get back on the bus and head to work.  It was time I wouldn't have traded for anything.  I'm so grateful that we had the opportunity to share this special tradition together.

This summer, my kids and I went on a road trip to California (that's another post).  We like to do this every so often. After spending a few days in Hollywood with my sister, we headed to San Diego for some time with my brother.  Along the way, we stopped at Westminster Memorial Park and brought Grama some flowers, and a chili dog.






She knew we were there.