Friday, February 26, 2016

Have I ever told you about . . . my dog-rescuing escapades?

Dave's a magnet to weirdos.  I'm a magnet to dogs needing rescue.  

Yes, I do have my own. Two. No, I don't want any more. But somehow, they find me. 

Of course there's our little Mante who fell through the ice on our own backyard pond, and was rescued (by me, in my pajamas, a couple of weeks after knee surgery, still in my brace) after his loyal brother ran into the house barking uncontrollably, intermittently running back out onto the deck and back in. Besides the winter 'fence' that now cuts our yard in two and blocks the pond from trespassers, that little event resulted a gradually warmed bath, layers upon layers of towels and blankets, and hours being held in front of the fireplace (for Mante, not me), and the most horrific moans emitting from his little trembling body. But that's another post.

And then there was the time . . . A couple of winters ago, as we were driving out of our neighborhood, we noticed our neighbor's two golden retrievers running loose down at the bottom of our hill.  We (the collective we, me and the kids) decided that, since we knew who they belonged to, we'd get out and try to get them to come to us. They were more interested in the ducks. Which were on the pond. Which was frozen. Mostly. As we approached them, they ran directly out onto the frozen pond, and promptly broke through. The younger one managed to run back to shore just before the surface cracked beneath him. The older one was not as lucky - slower reflexes, perhaps - and plunged butt first into the icy water. She managed to turn herself around and tried to pull herself back up onto the ice, but it broke and broke and broke under her weight, sending her right back into the water. I shimmied out onto the ice on my belly (don't judge), grabbed her collar from the back, and acquired momentary super-human strength to pull the 75+ lb soaking wet dog out of the water and onto the ice, pushing her butt until she was close enough to shore that the ice could support her weight. The kids, meanwhile, called 911 but told the dispatcher we had gotten her out before police were able to arrive. While I shimmied back to the shore, the kids got both dogs' by the collar. We put the dogs in the car, cranked the heater, and drove them back up to their house. The grateful neighbor brought us some sort of treat afterward (I can't remember what. Brownies?), and the car headed to the detail shop.

And then there was the time . . . As I drove through our little town on my way to work, I saw what looked like a small deer lumbering across a busy intersection. I realized, though, as I got closer, that it was a huge bullmastiff. It wandered nonchalantly into the corner gas station. Of course I pulled in. How could I not? Surprisingly, it grew exponentially as it neared me, but came to me willingly, slobbering and panting. After securing her/his collar (I wasn't going to check but we'll say him for arguments sake), I yelled to a guy going into Wendy's next door to bring me a cup of water for him. The water was quickly sloshed out of the cup, some of it making it into the dogs mouth, most of it landing on my feet. Of course, he had no tags. So, after a call to animal control services, about an hour wait trying to keep a roughly 130 lb mini-horse from continuing to wander, he was scanned for a chip and the owner was contacted. I took my water- and slobber-soaked self to work.

And then there was the time . . . Sarah and I noticed a small dog-like something weaving in and out of cars in that same busy intersection, and then making a beeline for the supermarket. Of course we had to turn around. We caught up with the little cutie in front of the grocery store, herded her into our car and, lo and behold, she had a tag!! We called her mom, who was out searching at that very moment and so incredibly grateful to have her naughty dog back. Equally so was naughty dog happy to see mom.

And then there was the time . . . Steve the basset hound was wandering along our main neighborhood street.  After a few benign barks, he jumped happily into the car. He, too, had tags - believe me, that is a rarity in our neck of the woods - so I called his owner who was also out looking. Steve wasn't quite as happy to see his dad, though, and Sarah and I felt kind of bad as he was hauled off, plunked into the back seat, and looked longingly out the window as they pulled off. :( We had second thoughts about that one.

And then there was the time . . . A wiener dog named Oscar - not our wiener dog named Oscar - got lost in the woods above our house. A Facebook vigil began, and citizens banded together to find him. Separate groups went searching the trails. Dave and I got a good 3 or 4 mile hike out of it, as we wandered through the mountains calling, "Oscar . . . Oscar!" To no avail. My magnet wasn't working, apparently. It turns out that Oscar was hiding in a yard, just off the first trail head, and was reunited with his family the next day.

And then there was the time . . . Dave and I drove out of town to run errands, only to find a small terrier-like dog and a large black lab running full-bore down the sidewalk.  We got ahead of them and pulled over but, as soon as they saw me, they stopped, scattered, and ran right into traffic. Don't worry, no one was hit. Had my magnet polarized? We gave up on that one for fear our chasing would lead to more running.

And then there was the time . . . Traffic seemed to be stopping for a white floating bag on the 6-lane road I travel home on. Nope. It was a dog. It was a little white Maltese-type dog. One lady stopped in the middle of her lane, put on her flashers, and chased the little bugger out of the main road. Then she gave up. I pulled onto the little side street the dog had bolted down, followed closely by an alert police officer who had watched the whole debacle. As the officer approached the dog from one side, I got out of my car and approached from the other. Eventually, the dog cowered with her tail between her legs and let me pick her up. She was absolutely covered with HUGE mats. Her little legs were twice the size of normal because of them. Her ears had little free-flowing fur because of them. I thought she’d been faring for herself for months because of them. The officer said she was super backed up with calls and I volunteered to take the dog to a vet to have her scanned for a chip. Before I pulled away, I snapped a few pictures and posted about her on the Utah Lost and Found Pets Facebook page.  When I called the vet about it, though, they said I would be obligated to surrender the dog. For some reason, I had a bad feeling about that. So, I called the Salt Lake County number on the dog’s license and managed to get the owner’s name and phone number! I left a voice mail for ‘Jennifer’. While I awaited the return call, I had visions of her shock and awe when I announced that I had finally tracked down her long lost, most beloved mutt, whom I learned was named Jessie. Nope. She didn’t even know that the dog had gotten out and claimed the mats were because Jessie had just had an operation and couldn’t be groomed. (There were no signs of any past operation. Just sayin’. And, even if there were, I’m pretty sure brushing and cutting off matted fur isn’t against the rules.) Anyway . . . Jennifer said that her kids would be home from school later that afternoon, so Jessie and I headed back to my place where I cut off several of the mats, with Jessie’s thanks, gave her a can of Mighty Dog (‘cuz she is one) and a bowl of fresh water. She sacked out on a blanket for about an hour, and then we headed back toward where she was found to meet up with her mini-masters. They were cute boys who were grateful to get her back, and she was VERY excited to see them. That made me feel a little better. The officer saw my post on Facebook, and sent me a message for being Jessie’s hero. Awww.

I’m sure there are more. I can’t remember. I’ll add later if I do.