Monday, September 22, 2014

Angel Numbers and Dragonflies

It all started with 444.  For some reason, I kept seeing it. Everywhere.  On clocks.  Prices.  Mileage.  Exit numbers.  For years. 

I decided to research what it meant. Psychics say that angels, spirits of those we loved and who loved us, attempt to guide us through our thoughts, feelings, words, visions, and with physical signs ~ tangible things we see or hear over and over. 

One of the physical manifestations of this is recurring number patterns.  Our spirit guides are calling our attention to something ~ giving us a cosmic ‘heads up’.  They’re called Angel Numbers, a means for the spirits of our loved ones to communicate with us by physically placing things with the number sequence in front of us and by subtly whispering for us to look up in time to see that particular clock, car, billboard or sign.  The spirit guides hope that we will become aware of the repeating numbers and research what the messages mean.

According to psychics, 4 is an angel number, symbolic of the four seasons, four cardinal directions, and four elements of earth, wind, fire and water. Recurring 444 is an indication that you are being surrounded by angels who love and support you, and their help is close at hand.  They say that the lost loved one who came to mind first when you saw the sequence was the person who was trying to connect with you.  It was always my Grama Alice.

Last June, the kids and I made a road trip to California to see my brother’s and sister’s families.  One stop we made was to Westminster Cemetery to put flowers on Grama Alice, Grampa Reg, and Donald Jacob’s graves.  And, although I’d become quite accustomed to seeing the sequence and had The 444 came on with force.  The Chili-Cheese Dogs we took with us to picnic with (that’s another post) were 5 for $4.44.  Gas was $4.44 per gallon.  When we got in the car after we’d found all three loved ones, it was 4:44.  I believed that Grama, Grampa, and my oldest brother were telling us they knew we had visited and expressing their gratitude for being remembered and honored.  They knew.  They were aware of our love, aware of our gathering, and giving their approval. They were healthy, happy, and in the arms of those who had gone before them.  They will be there to greet us.

And then the dragonflies arrived.

I had always told my kids that, when I died, I would come back to them as a dragonfly.  Anytime they saw one, they would know that I was there with them.  For Christmas last year, Sarah bought us matching dragonfly bracelets.  She wrote me the greatest letter, and told me, You Will Always be My Dragonfly.  (That’s another post.)



In mid-July, my nephew died.  It was tragic and traumatic, an unintentional suicide.  I was absolutely devastated.  Honestly, I didn’t really understand why.  Chris and I hardly knew each other.  He was married to Dave’s niece, Elisabeth.  We’d seen each other over the years (they’d been married maybe 5 or 6) at weddings, Christmas or birthday parties, and when out-of-town family members came for a visit.  But, for some reason, his death knocked the wind out of me.  I curled into a proverbial ball and was completely distraught.  We found out on a Sunday morning.  Unfortunately, his death occurred in a very public place and was the stuff of sensational news.  There was no escaping it, and I was consumed with the need to find out what happened to him. 

I changed my profile picture and cover photo



and posted, “For the most part, I want to be a dragonfly.”

A few days after Chris died, we were invited to a memorial show at Mod a-go-go, a downtown art gallery where Chris displayed his work.  I sent the gallery owners a message indicating that we would be there and hoped to take home some of his work.  They said they would set some pieces aside for me to choose from, including something from Chris’ latest collection, stage scenes.  Since we were in the process of finishing our theater, I told them I would definitely want one of those.  When we arrived at the show, a lovely, well-attended event at a delightful, eclectic gallery nouveau, and made our selections from the display – a beach scene, a stage set, and a crammed subway car.  I was disheartened to learn that they had all sold but, when I let the owner know who I was he said, “Oh!  We have some downstairs for you!”  Of course, they were two beach scenes, a stage set, and a crammed subway car – exactly what we’d picked from upstairs.  We bought them all.  What we didn’t know, but was explained to us, is that Chris himself appeared in both of the beach scenes, walking away from the camera.  Not only did we get pictures from his collection, we got pictures of him.

The funeral was the next day.  I wore a dragonfly pin that I got for Christmas for the first time.  It was highlighted nicely on my plain black dress.  There were dragonflies flying around everywhere, which was weird, because we were nowhere near water. 

I attributed them to Chris.  He knew.  He was aware of our love, aware of our gathering, and giving his approval. He was healthy, happy, and in the arms of those who had gone before him.  He will be there to greet us.

Within a few days I had found the perfect hanging spots and purchased the perfect frames for the artwork we bought.  I set about putting all of the prints into the frames and noticed in the stage scene – the one I was adamant about getting – two dragonflies.

The week before I got The Call (that’s another post), I was in a complete panic about my brother’s well-being, and could not take my hands off my dragonfly charm on the bracelet that Sarah gave me. During his memorial, I wore the same pin.  The next morning, we attended his daughter’s soccer game, and were joined by two very active and very close-flying dragonflies.  After returning to the home of Greg’s in-laws, I saw a metal dragonfly attached to their porch swing. 

He knew.  He was aware of our love, aware of our gathering, and giving his approval. He was healthy, happy, and in the arms of those who had gone before him.  He will be there to greet us.

Here’s to my dragonflies.