Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What IS that smell?

As I venture through the various parts of my day, I frequently ask myself, “What IS that smell?” Depending on where I am at the time the question escapes my lips, the answer can vary drastically.

Sometimes, it’s a coworkers lunch and my mouth waters. Other times, it’s a coworkers lunch and my stomach turns.

Sometimes, it’s the Spice-scented tree tucked away in my car’s console. Other times, it’s the exhaust from a passing diesel coming through my car’s vents.

Sometimes, it’s my freshly washed children and I just want to kiss them. Other times, it’s my active and subsequently sweaty children, and I still want to kiss them. :) 

On Saturday morning, I woke up, climbed out of my warm bed, and walked across the freshly vacuumed carpet, realizing simply by the scent that Sarah had used some yummy deodorizer when she did her chores.  I got my dogs out of their room, realizing simply by the scent that they and their beds needed to be washed. I poured a deliciously-smelling mug of freshly brewed coffee and realized simply by the scent that it would not be my only cup that day. I headed toward the front door, realizing simply by the scent that we had all neglected to put our shoes away the night before.  I went out on the front porch and was overwhelmed by yet another, unidentifiable and simply delicious scent. Was it a neighbor’s freshly baked cinnamon rolls? Another neighbor’s newly cut lawn? Fresh soil just laid in the flower beds across the street? Nope. It was this . . .










 
 
 

 
I love my yard.  :)  As I venture through the various parts of my day and am hit by walls of stomach-turning lunch, diesel exhaust, and sweaty children, I will redirect my nose to remember those sweet-smelling flowers, and I will smile.